First, I made a Mockingjay patch. The pattern is from here (which I found by Googling "mockingjay cross stitch"). After I finished the stitching, I cut about a quarter inch around and sewed it back. This Aida frays like it's going out of style, so the edge looks scraggly. Ah, well, not too bad for a first try.
The second pattern I tried was from a different universe: Harry Potter. I've been listening to the audio books this summer with my mom while we craft our hearts out. The pattern is from The Leaky Cauldron, which has many other great patterns. I am in love with the huge Hogwarts crest, but thought it would be better to work up to such a huge project. This little guy took me about 5 days, so I can't even imagine how long the huge one would take.
My current project is an anatomical heart that I created the pattern for. It is bigger than the crest, but has a lot of big blotches of color, so will probably take about the same amount of time.