06 August 2013

Cross Stitching. Forever.

I decided to stitch a picture that I really like of me and my mom.  It was taken in a photobooth at the Renegade Craft Fair in Los Angeles a couple years ago.  Hence the mustache on my mother.  Now I'm not really sure why I thought this would be a good idea.  I mean, it's cool and unique.  But it's about 100 times bigger than any of my other projects.

Current progress of portraits.  Will it ever end?

 The first stitches were those in the highlight of my mom's left cheek.  After completing that little blob of purple, I (foolishly) thought that it wouldn't take too long. 

Let's take a break here and talk about math.  There are 12,025 stitches in this pattern.  That little blob?  About 75.  Which is just 1/160th, or 0.6%, of the entire pattern.  I probably should have thought more about the time needed to complete this piece... it was supposed to be a Father's Day present.  Oops.

There are 7 colors of thread in this piece.  When I first went to pick out the colors, I had a list from the KG-Chart program's generated pattern.  After picking up all the colors, I noticed that I had some blues and some purples in my hand, all mixed together.  Not a smooth gradient!  So I used my Color Sense (thanks, Mom!) to pick out my own gradient.  Now I know that KG-Chart doesn't have super accurate colors.  Or that my computer monitor is extremely off.

Well, I'm going to go watch My Little Pony and stitch some more. (Don't knock it 'til you try it--it's a charming, funny show.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest