14 August 2012

Italian Savory Bread

I love being in the kitchen and love baking, but making cookies and other sweets all the time isn't super healthy.  I satisfy my baking needs by making bread, which I can tell myself is sorta healthy.

Today I tried a new recipe and did something new... added seasonings!  The base recipe is from The Rickett Chronicles (thank you Pinterest!).

Two loaves of my Italian Savory Bread.  Top is crunchy and the rest is nice and soft! 

Here is my altered recipe that I also doubled because why not?
Italian Savory Bread
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups white flour
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  1. Mix warm water, sugar, and yeast together, then let sit for about 5 minutes to make sure it is foaming up.  Yay for proofing!
  2. Add oil and salt.
  3. Mix in the seasonings.
  4. Add 3 cups flour, then stir in remaining until you can't stir anymore.  Turn out onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes so that the dough is smooth and elastic, and no longer sticky.
  5. Put in oiled bowl and allow it to rise for 1 hour.
  6. Punch down, then form loaves, rolls, or whatever you're making.
  7. Allow them to rise for 45 minutes.
  8. Bake in 350F oven until golden brown (20 minutes).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest